26 March, 2011

Homemade Beaded Stitch Markers

I got frustrated by using my scrap yarn stitch markers that I've been using since I first started knitting on circular needles.  They're incredibly simple and a great way to make use of scrap yarn trimmings, but they wear dreadfully.  When I would split the yarn markers, they would stretch out.  When they would stretch out, they would split easier, so it would get to be worse and worse.

After a frustrating afternoon of trying to knit a hat, I decided to pull out my beading supplies.  It had been a while since I'd put it to use, and I had several small bits of scrap beading wire which I was saving for "bracelets and anklets" that never came to be.  I pulled out some interesting looking glass beads, some seed beads for spacers, my little bag of crimp beads, and got to work.

This is what the end result was:

set of 5 markers with too-big but still functional loops
these will be useful if I ever get needles with a 
large gauge

set of 5 carefully measured stitch markers
these will fit on needles up to size US15

one more carefully measured (fits up to US15)
stitch marker that's not as interesting looking
but served the purpose of using up the
extra piece of wire I had left in the scraps


If you're interested in making some of your own, it's easy.  Pick out your favourite decorative beads and a few seed (or other small spacer-like) beads that match the decorative beads.  Get yourself some coated beading wire of the proper gauge for the selected beads (someone will probably be in the store that can help you if you're unsure) and some crimp beads/crimp tubes of the proper size for the wire (the wire package generally tells you what size crimp beads you're after: you will need 2 per marker - one at the top and one at the bottom).  You will also need some wire cutters and pliers, but most people (or their fathers or husbands) have those available already.

Take the biggest knitting needles you intend to use the markers with as a size guide, and loop the wire over the needle.  Holding the wire on the needle, take a crimp bead, thread it through both strands of wire and tighten it down around the needle, then crimp the bead firmly into place with a set of pliers.  Now remove the needle from the loop, thread your beads in whatever pattern you wish through both strands of wire (you probably won't want more than about 6-8 beads or your markers will be heavy and awkward).  After placing the last bead, grab another crimp bead, thread it through both strands of wire, and push it snugly against the decorative beads.  Finally, crimp down firmly on that bead with your pliers and use your wire cutters to cut the wire flush with the bottom of the last crimp bead.

No comments:

Post a Comment